The word ’empath’ often gets confused with just being highly sensitive. There’s actually a lot more to us than that one aspect.
When people think of what it means to be an empath, they imagine an overly-sensitive person who has uncanny intuition. For the most part, that’s right. But there are hidden aspects that most people don’t know about, unless they are an empath themselves.
Empaths can pick up on the motivations and intentions of others, and experience the highs and lows of those around them. Sometimes, this can cause an overwhelming force of stressful emotions, leading to panic attacks, depression, chronic fatigue, as well as a plethora of physical symptoms that defy medical explanation.
That all sounds like something we would rather avoid, right? Well, the first step to dealing with those side-effects is understanding and acceptance. Once you understand that there is a reason you have been experiencing all of these things, you can accept it and work towards finding your center. Remember, an empath bears the burden/gift of constantly helping others, but they must take care of themselves as well. “A broken cup holds no water.”
These 13 traits below describe what it’s like to be an empath, and if they sound familiar to you, you might be one.
1. What they feel is rarely about themselves.
2. They are peacemakers.
3. Empaths are highly sensitive to images and videos in the media.
4. Like a sponge, they absorb other people’s emotions.
5. Empaths know when they are being lied to.
6. Everyone, even strangers, go to empaths with their problems.
7. Nature is necessary.
8. Empaths need to spend time alone.
9. It’s not just emotions and feelings.
10. They tolerate a lot, but narcissism is not one of those things.
11. If an empath wouldn’t want it done to themselves, they won’t do it to you.
12. Some are drawn towards empaths, and some are repulsed by them (for seemingly no reason.)
13. Empaths reflect what others release.
Does any of that sound familiar to you? Then you are more than likely an empath.
As one of those highly-sensitive, intuitive, and misunderstood individuals, I know what it’s like to feel everything so deeply, and question things constantly. Why do some people instantly light up when they see you, and others avoid you, lie, and create drama? Well, that’s because they see themselves and their energy when they’re around you, and some people just aren’t ready to accept or work on those things.
Above all, don’t take things personally. Everyone is on their own path, going their own pace. Yes, it’s difficult to feel and sense as much as we do (gut instincts are great but they can also really suck), but it’s worth it. It’s worth all the sleepless nights and anxious mornings, to be able to experience life in the full spectrum of colours we do.
By Raven Fon